Well, I couldn’t put if off any longer. I finally made a sale, but not just any salad: a BBQ Chickpea Salad! With hemp ranch!
I feel like I have to prove that I eat salad sometimes. Ok, I don’t have to prove it, but it’s true that I do enjoy a nice salad every now and then, even though until today, there was virtually no evidence of this on the blog.
There is a misconception that all vegans eat is salad, which as you can see from my Tips for Vegan Beginners post, this is soooooo far from true. I don’t have salad that often, and I probably should. My boyfriend even said that he would go vegan if he didn’t have to eat salad everyday, and I don’t think I can count on 2 hands how many times he actually had a salad as an entree in the past year.
With that said, I do like a salad, but it has to be made right. Meaning that it can’t just be lettuce and a boring sauce. It needs to have more than 1-2 ingredients, and the seasoning needs to be full of flavor. Well, I am pleased to say that my BBQ chickpea salad meets that criteria! Obviously, I had to top it off with my hemp ranch, which I also used in my Buffalo Cauliflower Wing Burger (which you totally need to try).
What I will say about salad is that if you make it right, it makes an amazing entree. Add lots of veggies, some protein, and a good sauce, and you’ve got yourself a surprisingly filling dinner. Today’s protein of choice is chickpeas (which is also an amazing source of carbs, iron, etc.). If you cook them and coat them in BBQ sauce, they are kinda-soft-kinda-crispy, and taste amazing paired with my creamy ranch sauce. That’s right, salad doesn’t HAVE to be boring. It can actually be addicting…I know, I sound totally crazy, but I promise that I’m on to something here. Like I always say, if you make it right, it’ll taste good no matter what it is!
With how dang easy, healthy, and delicious this salad is, I’m counting on you to make it asap! It’s wonderful for Summer (but just as amazing all year round), and is packed with every good nutrient you can think of. You’ll feel like a million bucks after eating this salad. Using just a small amount of BBQ sauce, this dish is super healthy and the perfect lunch. Trust me, I don’t eat salad that often, but I have had this several times in the last month. That’s really saying something!
So if you think that salad is only good if you cover it with dairy (I used to be there too, it’s ok), I really recommend that you try this delicious BBQ Chickpea Salad! It shows that 100% vegan salads are pretty delicious, and not even close to boring! I hope you enjoy it.
I also hope that you enjoy the last few weeks of Summer. I know that school is starting soon (I still have one more month and I am holding onto it for dear life), or it has already started for some of you, but make sure you still find the time to have some fun!
- 6 Cups Romaine Lettuce or Leafy Green of Choice
- 1 Small or Medium Ripe Avocado
- 1 Can or 1.5 Cups Corn
- 1 15oz Can Chickpeas, Drained and Rinsed
- 1/3-1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne (optional)
- Hemp Ranch
- 1. Make the Hemp Ranch: Add all ranch ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until served
- 2. Make the Salad: Heat either 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or 2 teaspoons oil of choice to a large saucepan. Add chickpeas and saute for 2 minutes. Add BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, black pepper, and cayenne (if using), and sauté to coat chickpeas. Saute for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Assembly: For each plate, add 2-3 cups of leafy green of choice, followed by 1/3-1/2 avocado, 1/2-3/4 cup corn, 1/5-3/4 cup chickpeas, and a drizzle of hemp ranch. Repeat for 1-2 plates.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- I use store bought BBQ sauce because I am still working on a homemade recipe. If you have a BBQ sauce recipe that you like, feel free to use that.