Jackfruit = Game Changer
For real, though. The first time I tried jackfruit in place of pulled pork was a life changing experience for me. Matthew and I made some BBQ “pulled pork” sandwiches and the entire time while we were cooking it, I kept saying, “It looks so much like pulled pork…like it’s actually freaking me out”.
You know what else freaked me out (in a good way): the taste! Like tofu, jackfruit can take on nearly any flavor. It’s all in how you season it, folks.
After trying BBQ jackfruit a few million times, I decided to switch it up and make buffalo jackfruit. And now I’m in love. You may already know that I’m into buffalo-flavored stuff since I let you all know that more buffalo recipes are to come in my Buffalo Cauliflower Wing Burger post. Well, the wait is over my friends! These buffalo jackfruit sandwiches are worth it, promise!
I created this recipe with two things in mind:
- The End of Summer
- School Starting Soon
As excited as I am for dark lipstick, sweaters, scarves, and pumpkins, there is still a part of me that will miss flip flops, popsicles, and BBQ burgers. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that buffalo-flavored stuff is exclusive to Summer. In fact, football season is my favorite time for buffalo wings (this is a great game-day meal, btw). However, there is something about this buffalo jackfruit sandwich in particular that reminds me of Summer. I am not quite ready to retire smoothie bowls and salads for the season yet, so I figured that I would enjoy a light, spicy sandwich with delicious jackfruit and a side of celery.
Now, as for school, I start school in about a month. I’m going into a new University, and I am feeling super excited, but also terrified at the same time. I am kinda dreading being back in the mix….nonstop homework, stress, and late nights. At the same time, I am looking forward to something new. Summer has been so much fun and I still have stuff to look forward to (I’m coming for you, Bumbershoot). While being busy with school isn’t super fun, I do have lots to look forward to in the Fall and Winter: Halloween, Christmas, and everything in between. There is always something good in very situation.
What does this buffalo jackfruit sandwich have to do with school? Well, when I’m busy with schoolwork, the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. I love making something quick and easy to pack. While this sandwich takes a little longer than 5 minutes to make, it is still so easy to put together and doesn’t require much thought. I think this is a great lunch for someone who wants something easy, flavorful, and super healthy. This is also a great meal to make ahead. Cook the jackfruit ahead of time, and it’s good for 2-3 sandwiches. Just reheat the jackfruit, add hemp ranch and desired toppings, and just like that, lunch is ready! I don’t know about you, but I like anything that’s easy, especially when I’m busy.
Whether your schedule is hectic, you love saving time, or you just really want another delicious lunch recipe, I hope my Buffalo Jackfruit Sandwich comes in handy. I know it will be a go-to for me in the next few months!
- 1 Can Jackfruit
- 1/2 Cup Buffalo Sauce, Such as Franks or any other red sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Dash of Pepper
- 4 Slices Bread of Choice (I used whole grain ezekiel brand)
- Hemp Ranch
- 1. Make the Hemp Ranch: Add ranch ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Place in small bowl and place in refrigerate.
- 2. Make the Buffalo Jackfruit Sandwiches: Remove Jackfruit from can and drain any excess liquid. Lightly rinse and drain again. Place jackfruit in medium bowl.
- 3. In medium bowl, pull jackfruit pieces apart with a fork, removing any large seed-like pieces. Pull until jackfruit resembles pulled pork.
- 4. Heat a medium saucepan on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp vegetable broth or 1 tbsp neutral oil of choice. Add jackfruit and cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Add the buffalo sauce, paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper and stir until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- 6. Cover and cook jackfruit for another 10 minutes, stirring every minute or two. Remove from heat.
- 7. While jackfruit is cooking, toast 4 pieces of bread (to your preference)
- 8. Spread 1 tbsp hemp ranch onto toasted bread and add half of the buffalo jackfruit. Repeat to make two sandwiches.
- 9. Serve immediately or keep jackfruit in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- You will most likely have extra ranch. It goes great with celery and other veggies on the side.
Thank you so much for stopping by!