My life changed for the better when I discovered nice cream.
When you go vegan, the idea of giving up ice cream is rough, but then you realize that there are so many amazing non-dairy ice creams on the market. Then….you realize that they still aren’t all that healthy. All the sugar…all the fat…. Totally fine for an occasional treat, but when I learned that I could make my own ice cream that is so healthy that I can eat it for breakfast, I couldn’t pass that up.
What makes this ice cream so healthy? Well, it only requires one ingredient: bananas. Yeah, you can add as many ingredients as you want, but nice cream can be as simple as just some frozen bananas blended in a food processor. It is the perfect guilt-free treat that is so delicious, you might forget that it’s healthy!
After much experimentation, I have decided that chocolate banana nice cream with a peanut butter swirl is the best flavor combo I have tried to date. It’s so simple, but yet so full of flavor. Top it off with some buckwheat groats and you’ve got breakfast…or dessert.
I love having a big bowl of nice cream before a workout. It provides me with so much fuel and I feel like my workout is always successful. I find that the secret is to use 4-7 bananas if you want to make nice cream a meal. It isn’t what I go for every single day (my go-to’s are oats or 3-ingredient pancakes), but it is great when I want something fast, great for digestion, and sweet.
I can totally get why nice cream is so popular right now. We all want to be healthier while enjoying the same foods that we love, and it has never been easier with the amount of recipes out there today! I have seen countless amazing nice cream recipes, and I don’t think I will ever have a chance to try them all (though I will gladly accept the challenge). If you have never tried nice cream, I highly recommend it! You won’t be disappointed!
Now, before trying the recipe, I would like to give you a few tips on making the best nice cream:
- Food processors make the best nice cream. I have tried using my blender multiple times, and it just doesn’t create the best consistency or texture (I have heard that a Vitamix works well, but my Ninja just doesn’t get the job done right).
- I would not recommend freezing nice cream overnight…freeze 10-15 minutes tops after blending the ingredients in a food processor. I usually have mine right after it is done, but if you want to freeze it first, you certainly could.
What I love about nice cream is that you still feel light after eating lots of it. I also love how customizable it is. Don’t be afraid to experiment with flavors-the possibilities are endless and my goal is to have a collection of healthy nice cream recipes on the blog for you to enjoy!
Until then, I hope you like my personal favorite, super easy and simple nice cream recipe that is awesome for dessert or breakfast..or both, you choose!
- 4 Frozen Bananas
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa, Cacao, or Carob Powder
- 1-2Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter (powdered, low-fat PB works)
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract, Optional
- Chop frozen bananas into small-medium pieces (the smaller they are, the quicker and easier it is the process)
- Add banana chunks into a high-speed food processor and process until the bananas are close to adding a creamy consistency
- Add cocoa, cacao, or carob powder (your choice) and vanilla extract (if using) into the processor and continue to process until creamy and chocolatey.
- Pour nice cream into a bowl and stir in peanut butter (alternatively, add peanut butter in at the same time as the chocolate powder and vanilla extract to form a blended chocolate peanut butter ice cream as opposed to PB chunks)
- You Can Either serve immediately or place into the freezer for 10-15 mins.
If you’re looking for other delicious vegan treats, I highly recommend my Lemon Meringue Pie Smoothie and my Chocolate Coconut Almond Butter Smoothie. Both are addicting, delicious, and secretly healthy!
I hope you have an awesome weekend!