Ok, maybe I was being a bit too cocky with my choice of title. I’m sure this recipe isn’t perfect. In fact, it’s possible that in a year, I will come up with something much better. However, I named this recipe “Perfect Vegan Mac n Cheese” because I have been trying to come with a mac n cheese recipe for awhile, and I finally made one that I just love. When I tested the final cheese sauce, I told Matthew, “This is perfect!”. After all the testing and experimenting, I found a recipe that I really love.
I wish I could say that this is the delicious, perfect, simple recipe that required as little ingredients as possible. Unfortunately, I got pretty excited with this recipe and found that several different ingredients add to the flavor. I have tried so many vegan mac n cheese recipes, and while I have liked most of them, there have been some that have lacked flavor in my opinion. I wanted to create something that everyone will like, vegan or not. So many people are skeptical of vegan cheese, so I just had to come up with a recipe that tastes amazing, and I finally found one that I am obsessed with. If you try my vegan mac n cheese for yourself, you’ll surely see exactly what I mean!
Seriously, I am obsessed. It’s a bit of a problem. I tried to make my recipe low in fat, but I just think that cashews make the creamiest cheese sauce. Adding vegan butter takes this dish to a whole new level. You could omit that if you wanted to make it a bit healthier. Still, I consider this recipe to be pretty healthy (MUCH healthier than regular mac n cheese). At least this mac n cheese is packed with healthier fats. It makes me feel much better about eating the whole pan. Ok, I admit that I didn’t do that, but my goodness, I totally wanted to!
I love warm, comforting dishes during this time of year. There is nothing I love more than getting home after a long day and cuddling up on the couch with my cute boyfriend and watching TV (Survivor and Big Brother have been my favorites).
I hope that my “perfect” vegan mac n cheese can give you the same comfort and satisfaction as regular mac n cheese. This is my all-time favorite food for a reason. There is nothing better than macaroni and cheese, and fortunately, the vegan version is just as good. If you’re skeptical, I highly recommend that you just give it a shot! I tried vegan mac n cheese for the first time before I was vegan, and I really liked it. It’s what showed me that maybe being vegan isn’t so bad. I hope it can do the same for you. If you’re already vegan, you know how delicious vegan cheese can be. This recipe is no exception!
- 12 Oz. pasta of choice (I use brown rice or whole wheat elbows, and recommend that)
- 1 1/2 cups cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tbsp mustard- dijon or yellow (dijon is best)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, optional but recommended
- Cook Pasta according to instructions. Once cooked, drain and transfer to medium bowl.
- While pasta is cooking, add cheese sauce ingredients to a high-speed food processor. Pulse until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Taste and adjust ingredients if desired.
- Pour cheese sauce into bowl with the pasta and stir to combine.
- The pasta can be served immediately, or can be placed in the oven in baking dish (set to 350 degrees) and baked for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
- These can be stored as leftovers for 3-5 days, but taste best when served immediately.