Do you ever just wish that you could have BBQ tempeh with some avocado, sweet potato, and brown rice at. the. same. time.? Well, I’ve got you covered.
Even if literally nobody had this burrito in their mind before I created it, I certainly don’t think that bringing this bad boy to the internet is such a bad thing!
There is something so delicious about the smoky and BBQ flavored tempeh paired with creamy avocado, the kinda-sweet-kinda-savory flavor of sweet potato, and the texture of brown rice wrapped together in a whole-wheat tortilla. I don’t know about you, but while I’m pretty open to most burritos, I feel like I hit the jackpot when I tried this for the first time!
What I love about this burrito in particular is how easy it is. Sure, like some of my other recipes, it seems like there is a lot of steps and a lot to do at a time (hello Cauliflower Pinto Taquitos and Buffalo Cauliflower Wing Burger), but in reality, there is actually a lot of downtime and you can bake the sweet potato, cook the brown rice, and cook the tempeh at the same time. It’s actually one of my easiest recipes that I have shared to date, besides my smoothies.
I have been making this burrito constantly lately because the flavor is just that amazing. I am learning that you don’t need to go out of your way to give plants a ton of flavor. In fact, I only added seasoning to the tempeh, and I didn’t feel like a thing was missing!
Sometimes, less really IS more!
The one thing this burrito doesn’t lack is nutrition! Packed with complex carbs and healthy fats & protein, this is the perfect meal to get you through your day! You do get some sugar with the BBQ sauce, but I figure that it’s best to look at the big picture. If your main meal is healthy, it’s ok to indulge with the sauce. No biggie, at least in my opinion. Whatever gets you to eat healthier food, that’s what I always say!
I hope you enjoy this simple, filling, and delicious burrito that is full of flavor and full of nutrients. Vegan meals don’t have to be difficult or complex. They can be easy, and can rely heavily on leftovers.
Don’t believe that vegan food can be simple, healthy, AND delicious? Just give this burrito a try!
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice (leftovers are recommended)
- 1/2 Medium Ripe Avocado, chopped into small-medium chunks (depending on your preference)
- 1 8oz Block Tempeh
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan-freindly BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth or 1 Tbsp oil of choice
- 2-3 Large Whole-Wheat Tortilla or any other tortilla of choice
- 1. Bake Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Poke holes into sweet potatoes, wrap in foil, and place in oven and bake for about 40 minutes, or until softened.
- 2. To Make the BBQ Tempeh: Cut tempeh into small, diced shaped blocks. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, and add vegetable broth or oil. Add tempeh and cook for 5 minutes, or until tempeh has golden-brown edges. Then, add BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, tamari, black pepper, sea salt, chili powder, and garlic and stir until the tempeh is fully coated. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. To assemble: Microwave tortillas for about 15 seconds. Add 1/3-1/2 cup of warm brown rice to each tortilla, followed by the tempeh, avocado, and the sweet potato (you can chop the potatoes into slices or just add the whole potato in as is) Wrap up and enjoy!
- Burrito may be messy depending on how full you choose to fill it.