I need to admit to a very unhealthy obsession:
I love takeout pizza.
Did you know that Papa John’s pizza crust is completely vegan? Yup, sure is.
Matthew and I made a habit of ordering 1-2 times per week, which is just bad. All that oil, man. RIP thighs.
My favorite toppings are artichoke, mushroom, and roasted garlic. A bonus is their garlic sauce (vegan!) and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast. I never thought I could eat vegan pizza and not miss the cheese! It’s possible, my friends!
Now, in the future, I have plans to bring a 100% homemade pizza to the blog. I have loads of ideas, and not to worry, it will come soon. Until then, I wanted to make this recipe easy and accessible to people who short on time and/or may not be as experienced in cooking. I will not pressure you into making homemade dough just yet, promise. Now, if you have a dough or sauce recipe that you love, by all means, use it! For my instructions, I will just be using dough and sauce from Trader Joe’s.
This will be my last meal for the month of January. I will have one more recipe on the 31st (it’s a sweet one), then you can look forward to a dozen new recipes for February. The testing has gone well and I made some amazing meals, snacks, and everything in between! Until then, I hope you love this super easy and simple veggie pizza. It’s my favorite to make at home, that’s for sure.
Oh, and I do not provide a tutorial to roast garlic because I am still developing my favorite method. I will have a tutorial when I decide on a preferred method, but use your preferred method or google how to roast garlic in the meantime.
- 1 Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (I used Trader Joe's Brand)
- 1/2-1 Cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 Can Artichoke hearts, cut into slices
- 8oz Cremini or Button Mushrooms, chopped into medium pieces
- 10 Cloves Roasted Garlic
- Nutritional Yeast, optional
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add either 1 tbsp oil or 2 tbsp vegetable broth for an oil-free option. Add artichoke and mushrooms and cook for 5-8 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees. Roll out dough and form into a circular or square pizza. Flip ends of dough over to form a crust if desired. Place on pizza pan lined with parchment paper.
- Spread sauce according to your preference. Scatter artichoke, mushrooms, and garlic around the pizza.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven, add some nutritional yeast, slice, and serve!